HAVING YOUR COLOUR DONE?
You will need to have an up-to-date allergy test.
Your safety is as important as the beauty of your hair. Charlie Miller has a duty of care towards you and our employees.
Before your colour appointment, you need to have an up-to-date allergy test.
This test can be done in salon at least 48 hours before your appointment, at no charge to you.
Or, you can purchase a Colourstart at home allergy test kit for use at least 5 days before your appointment.
As an alternative to traditional allergy testing, we are now offering the Colourstart® Test at a cost of £15. The single one-off* test applies to all brands and colours; meaning you can use whatever colour you want, whenever.
The Colourstart test developed by Trichocare Diagnostics Ltd can be applied at home and the test lasts indefinitely*. Colourstart is approved by the MHRA (Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency) who are responsible for regulating all medicines and vaccines in the UK. After completion of the test kit your result is stored on the Colourstart Passport App, and prior to each colour appointment in the future, all you need to do is fill out the screening questionnaire.
The At Home Colourstart 5 Day Allergy Alert Test is a ready-to-use allergy test available to purchase in any of our Charlie Miller salons. The test can also be posted to you upon request. This test can show if you may be allergic to PPD, one of the most common ingredients present in hair colourants.
The test patch supplied with your kit must be applied at least 5 days before your colour appointment and stay on your arm for 48 hours. The test result must be recorded on the Colourstart Passport app on Day 5 and shared with Charlie Miller. You can find out more about Colourstart and Colourstart Passport here.
Please allow a minimum of 2 working days for delivery, and review these consultation questions before you buy.
Before you can carry out an at home Colourstart allergy test, you will be asked the questions below to help decide if Colourstart is right for you and to help you make an informed decision on whether you should avoid hair colour.
If you answer yes to any of the questions below, you should not purchase Colourstart. Please contact a Charlie Miller salon for further advice.
- Are under the age of 16?
- Are you allergic to PPD or hair colourant?
- If you have a black henna tattoo or have had an allergy to a black henna tattoo in the past?
- Do you have redness, swelling or itchy skin?
- Are you taking oral or topical steroids or other immunosuppressant medicines?
- Are you pregnant or breastfeeding?
*Subject to the correct use and negative reaction to Colourstart® Patch Test as per the Patient Information leaflet, and an ‘OK to colour hair’ status in any participating Salon’s Colourstart® Professional Passport, Colourstart® need not be repeated. There are exceptions including black henna, live dermatitis etc, please read the Patient Information leaflet carefully.
Clients will be asked to come in annually for a standalone allergy alert test. The yearly allergy test is a confirmation of our duty of care and to update client records. An application of colour does not replace an allergy test, so it is key that we update all clients records yearly.
You can arrange a complimentary in salon 48 hour allergy test by contacting your chosen salon. The test must be carried out at least 48 hours before your colour appointment.
An allergy test must be carried out a minimum of 48 hours before an appointment if:
- You are a new client to Charlie Miller
- It has been more than 6 months since your last colour at Charlie Miller
- You have had a tattoo or permanent makeup applied since your last appointment at Charlie Miller
- You have had ANY allergic reaction since your last appointment at Charlie Miller
- Your stylist is changing the brand/range of colour used on your hair
- It has been over 1 year since your last allergy test
We will be unable to colour your hair if:
- You are under 16 years old
- You are allergic to any hair colourant products
- You have had an allergic reaction to permanent make up or tattoo including henna
- You have a very sensitive, irritated, and damaged scalp
We will now be sending out an Allergy Test Questionnaire prior to relevant appointments which is to be filled out before arrival for your appointment. This will allow us to assess whether you require a new Allergy Alert Test.
Contact your chosen salon to arrange an appointment. You can find contact details for all of our salons here.